Sushi is a food that is eaten worldwide in both casual and formal settings. It is one of those common easy to make meals that
Sushi is basically cooled, boiled rice mixed with rice vinegar, topped with vegetables and raw seafood then shaped into bite-sized pieces.
Below is step by step instructions on how to make delicious sushi at home.
You will need:
- 1 cup short grain rice
- 1 1/4 cup water
- Two tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 200g fresh tuna, sliced
- ½ cucumber, peeled, deseeded and sliced thinly lengthways
- One carrot, peeled and sliced thinly lengthways
- ½ avocado, peeled and sliced thinly lengthways
- Six sheets of nori seaweed
1. The first step is to prepare the rice. Wash the rice thoroughly, changing the water several times until it runs clear. Let the rice drain in a colander for 30 minutes to one hour. Next, place the rice in a heavy saucepan, add water and place over high heat. Bring the water to a boil, uncovered, until almost all the water has been absorbed. Switch off the heat and let the rice stand, covered, for ten or fifteen minutes. Alternatively, use a rice cooker to cook the rice and then make it stand for a few minutes.
2. Once the rice is ready, mix the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt in a small bowl or saucepan. Heat the mixture either in a microwave or on the stove just until sugar is dissolved. Let cool to room temperature.
3. Then transferred the rice to a bowl, pour the rice vinegar mixture over the top and mix. Mix well and let the mixture cool before using it to make sushi.
4. Get out nori seaweed to prepare the sushi rolls. Lay out your bamboo mat then cover it with a plastic wrap to keep the bamboo mat clean. Place one sheet of nori seaweed on top of it. Spread rice on top of the seaweed, leaving about an inch of seaweed exposed along the edges for rolling. Don’t overload the nori with rice to achieve well-rolled sushi.
5. Place the fillings you want inside your roll on top of the rice for this roll place the sliced avocado, carrot, cucumber and the fresh tuna. Ensure it’s neat and compact. Other rolls contain different sliced vegetables or meat.
6. Then begin to roll. Apply light pressure as you roll the nori seaweed roll, leaving the mat and plastic wrap in place.
7. Once the roll is formed moisten your knife and cut into six to eight equal pieces. Garnish with soy sauce or pickled ginger. Serve and enjoy!
Master this simple technique, and you will be able to prepare any of some healthful, tasty, nutritional sushi recipes in just a few minutes. The ingredients can be varied to cater to a wide variety of tastes and dietary restrictions.